http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/ASBNX-ASIA-ASIACURZ5-ASIAME/2013/07/15/id/515039
Indian authorities said more than 5,000 people are missing following
last month’s flash floods in the north in what could be the country’s
worst natural disaster since the Indian Ocean tsunami almost a decade
ago.
Vijay Bahuguna, the chief minister of Uttarakhand province, said
5,748 people remain unaccounted for while refusing to officially declare
them dead. He said that the government will begin paying compensation
of 500,000 rupees ($8,340) to the families of each victim. The death
toll in Uttarakhand currently stands at 580 people.
“We don’t want to get into an argument over whether they are dead or
not,” Bahuguna said at a televised press conference Monday. “Let’s hope
they are alive and the search will continue.”
India’s monsoon moved across the country with record speed this year
as raging rivers, channeled by steep-sided and deforested valleys in the
foothills of the Himalayas, washed away homes and vehicles.
No comments:
Post a Comment