- Prior was 55.2
- Employment 51.4 vs 51.6 prior -- lowest since August
- New orders 63.2 vs 58.9 prior -- highest in 11 years
- Prices paid 57.6 vs 53.5 prior
The divergence in employment and new orders sounds like there is more to produce but that the robots are doing it now.
WHAT RESPONDENTS ARE SAYING ...
- "Business level increasing. More project inquiries are being received." (Construction)
- "Beginning of Q2, business is profitable, maybe a bit slower than anticipated. Opportunity still positive." (Finance & Insurance)
- "Stable activity. Waiting on health care reform and its impact on our organization." (Health Care & Social Assistance)
- "Ongoing rain in Northern California is degrading the quality and increasing the prices of some vegetables, such as iceberg lettuce, broccoli, napa cabbage, and some varieties of romaine." (Accommodation & Food Services)
- "[Overall] positive outlook for Q2, Q3, and Q4 [in] 2017." (Retail Trade)
- "Optimistic business outlook, but cautious in light of [the] geopolitical instability with North Korea." (Management of Companies & Support Services)
- "First three months of 2017, sales have exceeded each of [the first] three months of 2016." (Wholesale Trade)